20 replies to this topic

#1 mathi

mathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

phil ivey online tournament 18k garantee !

MOD NOTE: It's a new player playing from Norway, thus not Phil Ivey.

#2 ISIrocks

ISIrocks

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

mathi (2012-11-15) phil ivey online tournament 18k garantee !

LOL playing from norway... Looks like someone registered that username haha.

#3 c_treadway

c_treadway

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

ISIrocks (2012-11-15) 

Good idea. If FT ever wants Ivey back they'll most likely ship the Norwegian a few grand at least.

Smart PLAY!

#4 abyNorman

abyNorman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Next nickname , pls:
"Feel Ivey"

#5 Raggamann

Raggamann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

c_treadway (2012-11-15) 

ISIrocks (2012-11-15) 

Good idea. If FT ever wants Ivey back they'll most likely ship the Norwegian a few grand at least.

Smart PLAY!

they might give him a bonus, a tourneyticket or some ftp points or something like that (if they want to), but its not gonna be "a few grand".
but a nice idea anyway, i guess some guys will really believe they are playing with the real ivey

#6 denis x007x

denis x007x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Raggamann (2012-11-15) 

c_treadway (2012-11-15) 

ISIrocks (2012-11-15) 

Smart PLAY!

they might give him a bonus, a tourneyticket or some ftp points or something like that (if they want to), but its not gonna be "a few grand".
but a nice idea anyway, i guess some guys will really believe they are playing with the real ivey

FTP would give him nothing because its copyright infringement

#7 LostSam

LostSam

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

It's not copyright infringement to use someone's name. Otherwise they'd not let in any names that were from famous people etc.

#8 denis x007x

denis x007x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

LostSam (2012-11-15) It's not copyright infringement to use someone's name. Otherwise they'd not let in any names that were from famous people etc.

not sure if u serious

its in fact copyright infringement just try using a celebs name for profit and watch how fast ur ass gets sued

weird timing tho considering i spent all night reading up on copyright infringement

#9 temp1234

temp1234

Lord

• Members
  • 1386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

You can't have copyright on a name, do you know many people have the same name, with the internet and usernames or websites it's open season and 1st come

#10 denis x007x

denis x007x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

temp1234 (2012-11-15) You can't have copyright on a name, do you know many people have the same name, with the internet and usernames or websites it's open season and 1st come

its not the wild west anymore those days are finished unfortunately

now its all about copyrights and its only getting worse but if you dont believe me then go sell tshirts on the corner with a celebs name and let me know how it goes

#11 4bet_bluff

4bet_bluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

denis x007x (2012-11-15) 

temp1234 (2012-11-15) You can't have copyright on a name, do you know many people have the same name, with the internet and usernames or websites it's open season and 1st come

its not the wild west anymore those days are finished unfortunately

now its all about copyrights and its only getting worse but if you dont believe me then go sell tshirts on the corner with a celebs name and let me know how it goes

the guy made his screenname someone elses name. hes not selling anything. he did nothing wrong and FT would be doing nothing wrong to pay him to get the sn back.

#12 4bet_bluff

4bet_bluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

also just because a name is famous, using it does not make it copywrite infrin if its not a copywrited name. ex: Isildur is a character from LOTR but i doubt they have a copywrite on it. It would be fairly expensive to copywrite every single name in a film. Also putting a 1 on the end of it likely would negate the whole thing anyway. If Isildur is copywrited, Isildur1 is def not. And using someone elses name is not copywrite infring, only using it for your own financial gain is.

#13 temp1234

temp1234

Lord

• Members
  • 1386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

We are talking about online, whats that got to do with selling t shirts on street corners?

#14 mong boy

mong boy

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

unfortunatly i share my name with a famous r&b superstar but he hasnt come around to sue me yet :/

#15 w00t

w00t

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

denis x007x (2012-11-15) 

Raggamann (2012-11-15) 

c_treadway (2012-11-15) 

ISIrocks (2012-11-15) 

Smart PLAY!

It obviously isn't, I hope you're joking.

#16 denis x007x

denis x007x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

4bet_bluff (2012-11-16) also just because a name is famous, using it does not make it copywrite infrin if its not a copywrited name. ex: Isildur is a character from LOTR but i doubt they have a copywrite on it. It would be fairly expensive to copywrite every single name in a film. Also putting a 1 on the end of it likely would negate the whole thing anyway. If Isildur is copywrited, Isildur1 is def not. And using someone elses name is not copywrite infring, only using it for your own financial gain is.

exactly my point

#17 denis x007x

denis x007x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

w00t (2012-11-16) 

denis x007x (2012-11-15) 

Raggamann (2012-11-15) 

c_treadway (2012-11-15) 

ISIrocks (2012-11-15) 

Smart PLAY!

It obviously isn't, I hope you're joking.

i dont joke when it comes to matters of the heart being as a group used my name and services in the past for financial gain so i hope u joking or i can just link u a legislation bill i read last night

u can use it for ur own personal use but once u use it for financial gain u in big trouble mister

#18 itschin

itschin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

considering accounts where never deleted

if ivey wants to play on ftp all he has to do is login

#19 Joytoys

Joytoys

Lead Nozzlepop

• Moderators
  • 3984 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

itschin (2012-11-16) considering accounts where never deleted

if ivey wants to play on ftp all he has to do is login

His has been deleted - and now some random has set up an account named "phil ivey" as should have been pretty obvious if you've read any of this thread!

#20 Joytoys

Joytoys

Lead Nozzlepop

• Moderators
  • 3984 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

denis - for someone who claims to read up on copyright law you seem to have a rather flimsy understanding of its nature, purpose and guidelines.

Everything else aside your entire argument for it being copyright infringement seems to be based on a fundamentally flawed premise;

ie: that somehow using the name "phil ivey" as a screen name will bring him financial gain.

You are implying that simply by using that name this person stands to make money from it. This is clearly ridiculous. The use of the name itself is completely irrelevant and couldn't possibly be being used for financial gain in the sense in which it would represent copyright infringement.

If this guy happened to win a ton of money playing poker it would be down to his own skill/luck and couldn't possibly be considered a result of the name he chose.

If a guy changed his name to Usain Bolt then went on the break the 100m world record would you argue that he only won because he changed his name? No, because that would be ridiculous right?

One of my usernames on a poker site is Scooby Doo - should I worry about a writ coming through from hanna-barbera?

Think about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users