52 replies to this topic

#1 mr bestever

mr bestever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi all,

In advance, i would like to apologize for my bad english.

This post is to warn about william hill.

Until this weekend I had never registered or played at William Hill. The only poker client I had used on the Ipoker network was TitanPoker, where I played without any problems for several months amassing a few thousand dollars. Finally, I left the site because no one played me hu, and I got tired of the HNR. The software was bad and my knickname was known, so I had no action...

I have been playing on Stars for long, and being a little tilted from a recent downwing, I decided to try Ipoker on the weekend, opting by subscribing in a new skin (William Hill) where I could use another Knickname.

Therefore, I registered in William Hill, filling all the necesary online forms and deposited 1.400 euros just to try the site (I didn't deposit much because I had already heard about some issues on the 2 plus 2 forums).

As soon as I deposited I went to the poker client, and in the cashier I immediately see "Your account has been temporarily locked. Please contact support... bla, bla, blah".

So this was going great! Before I even played one single hand, I already had my account "locked"!

The next step was obvious: calling support by phone (although the free numbers didn't work, so I had to discover a phone number which worked and pay for the call...).

As soon as I am able to speak with someone (after a long wait on the phone), I am told that for some reason the security team had blocked my account and that i would receive an email from them in the next 10 mins requesting documents and stuff.....

This happened Saturday. Today is Monday and guess what? No email, no nothing. Account remains blocked, of course.

I don't give a **** to the money. I only regret the time I have spent with this - the stupid convo on the phone, the waiting for an email that never was sent to me, the obvious way I was scammed even after reading about this in forums, etc.

Just wanted to tell the story to you guys because I think this is a complete scam. Never deposit on william hill!!! And if you do, don´t be thinking you will be able to withdraw your winnings without many problems...

I already uninstalled their software from my computer. I am done with this.

Regards.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Good to know

#3 babbage

babbage

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

why would u not pursue this further over a 1k i would not be letting this rest....EVER

#4 ISIrocks

ISIrocks

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2635 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

babbage (2012-11-19) why would u not pursue this further over a 1k i would not be letting this rest....EVER

Exactly, let me take it back, i'll keep half if u don't care...

#5 w00t

w00t

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi mr bestever,

This just sounds like a regular security check that most legit sites do, and should. What they're doing is to ensure that there is no fraud and once you've sent in your documents, and they check out, you will be good to go.

It's a pain in the *** for sure, but it's nothing uncommon and it's better they do this before you start to play rather than having to recall the money in instances where fraudulent money has entered the system.

Most likely this was triggered by the size of your deposit, €1400 is a large first deposit for a player that is new in their system.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

w00t (2012-11-19) Hi mr bestever,

This just sounds like a regular security check that most legit sites do, and should. What they're doing is to ensure that there is no fraud and once you've sent in your documents, and they check out, you will be good to go.

It's a pain in the *** for sure, but it's nothing uncommon and it's better they do this before you start to play rather than having to recall the money in instances where fraudulent money has entered the system.

Most likely this was triggered by the size of your deposit, €1400 is a large first deposit for a player that is new in their system.

Then why don't they just send an e-mail w00t? If it's a normal security check. Sounds shady.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yo, mr. bestever

Want HU action on Stars or Full Tilt? PM me. :)

#8 ISIrocks

ISIrocks

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2635 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ouch... Changed topic title... 2 mods online in this thread... That's something i was hoping not to see...

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Changing the thread title MORE than SAD. Fearing William Hill?

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

vestax (2012-11-19) 

w00t (2012-11-19) Hi mr bestever,

Then why don't they just send an e-mail w00t? If it's a normal security check. Sounds shady.

W00t?????

#11 mr bestever

mr bestever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi Mr Woot,

I understand everything you are saying but...

I am playing poker for six years now and never, I repeat NEVER, has any poker site locked my account as soon as i registered and deposited.

I mean, I usually am asked for providing utility bills (to prove my registered address), copies of my ID, etc. And that's OK! But that always happens when i want to withdraw funds for the first time!

Plus:

I have spared you from some details in my previous post. As a matter of fact, the representative to whom i have talked on the phone couldn´t disguise the fact that she was surprised with what was happening as soon as she realized that I had just registered into the site as a new client!

It was also strange the excuses she gave me regarding the security team.

Plus:

1400 euros is a standard (even low) deposit for a player who wishes to play 1/2 and 2/4 NLH HU.

And, of course, I don't need to tell you that my first deposits on Stars, Party, Titan, etc. were bigger and that never meant a insta-ban! What is the problem about the size of the deposit? They don't even have deposit limits!!!

Plus:

Don´t you think it is really strange I have never received any message from William Hill despite the fact I was immedaitely promised (in the phone convo) that i would receive an email ("within 10 minutes") requesting documents for the account being unlocked? I mean, I have already uninstalled their software but my email account remains active...

No, Mr Woots. I have been scammed. And it is also my fault, because I should have known what was going to happen after reading a lot of similar situations on the forums.

Anyway, I appreciated your concern.

I will move on and forget this. By the year 2040, I will probably receive an email from them announcing a deposit bonus. Just lol.

#12 Joytoys

Joytoys

Lead Nozzlepop

• Moderators
  • 4067 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

There is no way this is a scam - WH is a huge player in the market not some dodgy two bit company.

I totally get where you're coming from as I too had my account insta locked after I'd made my first deposit and I'm really not sure why as I had friends sign up at the same time with no problem. Not sure at all what prompted them to do this but it was just a case of emailing my documents to them (although I know sometimes they don't request them so it's a bit random) and the account was re-opened with all money in tact and it's very easy to withdraw and deposit now. Perhaps it was a random check?

My guess is it is human error why you haven't received an email yet.

FWIW I had the same thing with Full Tilt a few years back and getting a reply from their support was like the hardest thing ever!

There's no question you'll get your money back if you send in your docs.

#13 mr bestever

mr bestever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Sorry guys,

I can understand the fact that the mods changed the original title of the thread, but I think it is fair that the people reading this know that the original title was "william hill joke site".

Good Luck all.

#14 GrimTard

GrimTard

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • LocationCassablanca

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

There is no way they are scamming you man.

They are a big site in the induestrie. You sound a little ignorant to it. Just terrorize them with emails. But if you wanna play on ipoker go with paddypowerpoker! Awsome just aaaawsome, i just click withdraw and cash is on neteller

#15 mr bestever

mr bestever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi Grimtard,

Yeah, I think I will try PaddypowerPoker. I will deposit 10 euros and pray that everything works normally.:)

gl man

#16 w00t

w00t

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

mr bestever (2012-11-19) Hi Mr Woot,

I understand everything you are saying but...

I am playing poker for six years now and never, I repeat NEVER, has any poker site locked my account as soon as i registered and deposited.

I mean, I usually am asked for providing utility bills (to prove my registered address), copies of my ID, etc. And that's OK! But that always happens when i want to withdraw funds for the first time!

Plus:

I have spared you from some details in my previous post. As a matter of fact, the representative to whom i have talked on the phone couldn´t disguise the fact that she was surprised with what was happening as soon as she realized that I had just registered into the site as a new client!

It was also strange the excuses she gave me regarding the security team.

Plus:

1400 euros is a standard (even low) deposit for a player who wishes to play 1/2 and 2/4 NLH HU.

And, of course, I don't need to tell you that my first deposits on Stars, Party, Titan, etc. were bigger and that never meant a insta-ban! What is the problem about the size of the deposit? They don't even have deposit limits!!!

Plus:

Don´t you think it is really strange I have never received any message from William Hill despite the fact I was immedaitely promised (in the phone convo) that i would receive an email ("within 10 minutes") requesting documents for the account being unlocked? I mean, I have already uninstalled their software but my email account remains active...

No, Mr Woots. I have been scammed. And it is also my fault, because I should have known what was going to happen after reading a lot of similar situations on the forums.

Anyway, I appreciated your concern.

I will move on and forget this. By the year 2040, I will probably receive an email from them announcing a deposit bonus. Just lol.

I myself have experienced a couple of extra days not receiving the green light after their security check. This in no way implies that they are scamming you of your money.

FWIW William Hill is either the 1st or 2nd largest private betting company in the world, valued at over £2B. It's not just some small operator who runs away with its clients' deposits.

#17 mr bestever

mr bestever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi again Mr Woot,

and, therefore, do you think this is standard?

When it "happened to you", did you think this was a good practice towards a client (in my case, a new client)?

The fact that they (WH) are a "big" company (you seem to be well informed about it) doesn´t mean they are above all judgement. Do you remember Lehmann Brothers? They were a bit bigger than WHill....

Thanks for your concern once more.

#18 w00t

w00t

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

vestax (2012-11-19) Changing the thread title MORE than SAD. Fearing William Hill?

We changed the title to be descriptive. Why would we cover up anything, the player has waited 1-2 extra days to have his account verified, after making a first deposit larger than the norm. His account will shortly be unlocked as long as his documents match the details on his account.

#19 w00t

w00t

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

mr bestever (2012-11-19) Hi again Mr Woot,

and, therefore, do you think this is standard?

When it "happened to you", did you think this was a good practice towards a client (in my case, a new client)?

The fact that they (WH) are a "big" company (you seem to be well informed about it) doesn´t mean they are above all judgement. Do you remember Lehmann Brothers? They were a bit bigger than WHill....

Thanks for your concern once more.

It is obviously not good practice that you have to wait longer than promised. It is, however, good practice that they temporarily suspend accounts if they see any indication to worry about the funds deposited.

E.g. if a player signs up and deposits using a stolen credit card then goes on to sit at a $2/4 HU table against you - wouldn't you rather have WH check his details before he starts to play than that they take them back after you've won, saying that your opponent "played with stolen funds"?

Once your account is verified, which obviously should happen shortly as long as you have sent in legible documents, you will never have to verify again.

#20 MTTkid

MTTkid

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

never played on william hill before but it sounds dodgy alrite, they should never block your account over this as its just making the customers hate them, which is stupid! and a bro try paddy power, i play there all the time without any problems! I have kind of the same problem with fulltilt, i emailed them years ago asking was it possible to have a game removed from lobby that i didnt want to play anymore cause i was losing to much $ playing it! then they blocked my account because i just ask a question! since they opened there site again i have been in contact with them to see could i get back on the site, And basicly they said to me in email that this game i wanted removed would still be in the lobby if they let me back on and asked would that be a problem, i said it would be ok as i play on other sites daily with the same game on them. this was 3 or nearly 4 days ago when they emailed me this and i replied the next day and still have not heard one word back from them! I mean whats taking them so long to let me know if i am allowed back or not! its like there support team is just sitting around twiddling there thumbs doing noting. I know if it was stars i emailed i would here back within an hour maximum. i wonder are they ignoring me or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users