• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HighStakesPLO

HighStakesPLO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

When playing a poker hand, there are a number of different levels on which you can think, each more involved and complex than the last.
¦ Level 0 - What hand do you have?
¦ Level 1 - What hand might your opponent have?
¦ Level 2 - What does your opponent think you have?
¦ Level 3 - What does your opponent think that you think he has?

Ideally, you want to be thinking at one level, and only one level, above your opponent.
• We now have three tools that we can use to categorize our opponents:
1. What is their general playing style? How loose, aggressive, and deceptive are they?
2. What type of player are they and how do their primary motivations for playing influence their decision-making
3. On what level do they think?

#2 Jahjimmy

Jahjimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Nice start, keep it coming.
All ins, are overrated!!

#3 mrMannerheim

mrMannerheim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

I bet players call time on this guy all the time

#4 RaWi

RaWi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

HighStakesPLO (2012-11-22) When playing a poker hand, there are a number of different levels on which you can think, each more involved and complex than the last.
¦ Level 0 - What hand do you have?
¦ Level 1 - What hand might your opponent have?
¦ Level 2 - What does your opponent think you have?
¦ Level 3 - What does your opponent think that you think he has?

Ideally, you want to be thinking at one level, and only one level, above your opponent.
• We now have three tools that we can use to categorize our opponents:
1. What is their general playing style? How loose, aggressive, and deceptive are they?
2. What type of player are they and how do their primary motivations for playing influence their decision-making
3. On what level do they think?

Bravo!!! Thats what we need. Good explanations about playing PLO. I would write some of mine if i could form it well in the english speach, but my english is to rusty - but hopefully some guys will answer with more good thoughts... and hopefully you go ahead with your thread.

#5 pokerjunkie

pokerjunkie

Female Lordess :-)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2453 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

mrMannerheim (2012-11-23) I bet players call time on this guy all the time

Dumb answer to what could be the most intelligent, most beneficial start to any post I've maybe ever seen here ;)

This could actually be good...

#6 30nathanh

30nathanh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

all we have to say is u have 2 cards....

#7 JynxTheLynx

JynxTheLynx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

dumb response junk. A joke can make or break a good thread? dumb

#8 ShipIt2Daddy

ShipIt2Daddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

This is not even accurate!

Re donk said it. Stop mastrubating over something OP has copy pasted and even a bad version of it.

#9 mong boy

mong boy

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

pokerjunkie (2012-11-23) 

Dumb answer to what could be the most intelligent, most beneficial start to any post I've maybe ever seen here ;)

come on it was funny....

#10 U5eless Bluff

U5eless Bluff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Actually the poster is correct. You should only ever think one level above your opponant and by doing so willbe playing optimal exploitive poker. I think you have actually been reading "The Intelligent poker Player" by Phillip Newall as this is what he spends half the book explaining.

Re-Donk - Actually perfectly executed expoitive poker is the strongest form of poker there is and can only be countered by a player playing pefect GTO (game theory optimal) poker. there are currently bots that play both styles in limit poker who have it pretty much sussed but still at this point the bot that prevails most often is the one using expoitative methods. If you can play it well with a mix of game theory you will be unbeatable.

As for the thread yes this is correct but most players can only ever play on the first two levels. If you try and play a player with a level of 1 with level 3 thinking you will not play optimally and therefore not maximise you profit. But this is a very key theory moving forward and something that more and more players will adopt in order to stay ahead of the game.

good post!

#11 ISIrocks

ISIrocks

Lord

• Members
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

mong boy (2012-11-23) 

pokerjunkie (2012-11-23) 

come on it was funny....

x2! hahaha

#12 chesster

chesster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

• If you'd like to know, I can tell you that you can move freely in three levels. You move in a straight line in a fourth, , and stay rooted to one place in a fifth, which is the first fundamental of probability. After that it gets a bit complicated, and there's all sort of stuff going on in levels thirteen to twenty-two that you really wouldn't want to know about. All you really need to know for the moment is that the game is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place. I can easily not say words like "damn" if it offends you.
  • There's nothing there that wasn't there before. I'm just drawing your attention to certain spots at certain moments. Now what do you see?
  • "So what's the point of showing me something I can't see?"
    "So that you understand that just because you see something, it doesn't mean to say it's there.
    And if you don't see something, it doesn't mean to say it's not there. It's only what your senses bring to your attention."
  • "The game is vast to you. Vast in time, vast in space. That's because of the filters through which you perceive it. But I was built with no filters at all, which means I perceive the Mish Mash which contains all possible variables but which has, itself, no complications at all. For me, anything is possible. I am omniscient and omnipotent, extremely vain and, what is more, I come in a handy self-carrying package. You have to work out how much of the above is true."

#13 OMGitsViktor

OMGitsViktor

Lord

• Members
  • 2401 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

WCS064 (2012-11-23) Does anyone notice that OP's only posts are starting threads like this, which read like a page out of a poker book 20 years ago? He doesn't even say anything else in the threads.

He has the one where he tells us our opponents bad play is actually a good thing.

The one where he tells us downswings don't theoretically exist, after butchering the definition of a downswing.

He also graciously explains to us that we should focus on making good decisions and not be too results oriented!!

Some people seem to be liking this thread, so I don't want to be too negative. However, all of OPs posts could have been by someone who googled poker, then read a few lines on one of those free poker info sites that tell you that a flush beats a straight. Maybe that will be his next thread.

poker junkie said its the best thread eva!!! and as u know what poker junkie says can't be wrong. even the gods and the popes stand up when poker junkie talks. so your post is pure BS man and poker junkie is right!!! yeah..., u wrong, poker junkie right!!!!.

i have no opinion, i just follow poker junkie... ... my goddess.

#14 kazama

kazama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

¦ Level 0 - Do i have a pair? No
¦ Level 1 - Ok lets call to see if i hit a pair in the turn.
¦ Level 2 - OK i have a draw, lets call to see the river.
¦ Level 3 - I made a pair in the river, he has nothing i call.

#15 konglong

konglong

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

When playing a poker hand, there are a number of different levels on which you can think, each more involved and complex than the last.

Integral part of life passion WoW Gold and Diablo 3 Gold and GW2 gold and WoW Gold kaufen What are you waiting, hurry

#16 Aylari

Aylari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

kazama (2012-11-23) ¦ Level 0 - Do i have a pair? No

Super lol XD

#17 Pwnts

Pwnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

kazama (2012-11-23) ¦ Level 0 - Do i have a pair? No

http://cdn.overclock.net/7/7b/200x200px-ZC-7b6b06f1_1912-so-much-win.jpeg

#18 curry_dan

curry_dan

Lord

• Members
  • 1426 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

When in doubt, go all in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users