27 replies to this topic

#1 gamera

gamera

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

The 3 faces of Full Tilt are down over 3 million bewteen them since the re-launch and that figure would likely be significantly more if Isildur had anything resembling a decent roll.

Yes, a one month sample is hardly conclusive evidence that their losses are anything more than the principals of variance doing their thing. Still though, it can't just always be presumed that even at the highest levels a few million loss is just variance. Both Gus & Durr have been playing poorly since the return and Isildur has been a High Stakes fish for a good 6 months now.

I'm wondering is it just a short sighted move with the people who made the decision living in 2009 and just unaware that these guys are no longer the cream or maybe they know exactly what is going on and just picked the 3 action players. One would then think they would of snapped up Illari also. I mean, he is high profile, creates action aplenty, plays a lot and unlike Isildur actually has a roll and has proven over time that he can maintain his position at the top of the tree. It's my guess that the people at Full Tilt are aware that these guys they picked are simply no longer at the top of the tree and picked them as they are so loose and will draw in the other players and of course the railers will rail as they don't know the difference. The fantasy days of Million Dollar pots and 5 million swings in a week are gone. Hell those days weren't even real as the money didn't even exist. It seems that too many people are still believing that the big names from the big money days are automatically the best players as they have played for the biggest money. It's just not true anymore.

I'm wondering will people still keep idolizing these big name players and will FT keep sponsoring them when the 3 million turns to 5 million and more and more and then people will start realizing it ain't just variance.

Of ocurse I could be well wrong but I will absolutely lay an egg if those 3 can show a profit bewteen then in 2013 on FT. I would expect them to loose quite a bit bewteen them.

#2 screwcap

screwcap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Three of the top 5 most well known and well liked players in the world.They play thousands upon thousands of hands and are on site nearly daily.What else do FT need to consider?

#3 gamera

gamera

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

re-donk-raise-fold (2012-12-07) i like your points although not only are u wrong considering them loosing players, u also underestimate their talents and whatever that was that has put them at the top earlier

yeah actually ur only right with the fact that they are somewhat more idolized then skilled, which isnt such a big difference either ( gus, donkamentour rising from ashes , isildur still crushing nlhu, dwan taking millions in macau)

if they no longer can bit top regs (which was supposed to happen anyway ), who cares? They are legends and brilliant poker minds anyway

edit PS - HAAHHAHAAHA GREAT TITLE!

It should be obvious I'm talking about online poker. Time will tell if I'm wrong to consider them losing players in this sphere. Their current form in the current climate and all indications suggest that I am actually correct to call them losers in this sphere.

Who cares if they are no longer top regs?
Maybe the scores of guys who are better than them and will prove it in the coming months. Maybe FT will start to care also and eventually railers will no longer rail. The whole thing is a bit of a farce if the name players and supposed superstars are the biggest losers on the site that is sponsoring them.

Brilliant poker minds anyway?
What about the more brilliant minds?

It's like if Wayne Rooney got all the accolades calling him the best footballer in the World when it's obvious that Messi and others are better. It would be silly. Poker is getting silly in this way imo.

Our community is just not living in the real World. We should be moving away from the fantasy of the old FT days and embrace the fact that the game has moved on and now has new superstars.

#4 onlyamonkey

onlyamonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Location@Onlyamonkey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

gamera (2012-12-07) 

re-donk-raise-fold (2012-12-07) i like your points although not only are u wrong considering them loosing players, u also underestimate their talents and whatever that was that has put them at the top earlier

yeah actually ur only right with the fact that they are somewhat more idolized then skilled, which isnt such a big difference either ( gus, donkamentour rising from ashes , isildur still crushing nlhu, dwan taking millions in macau)

if they no longer can bit top regs (which was supposed to happen anyway ), who cares? They are legends and brilliant poker minds anyway

edit PS - HAAHHAHAAHA GREAT TITLE!

It should be obvious I'm talking about online poker. Time will tell if I'm wrong to consider them losing players in this sphere. Their current form in the current climate and all indications suggest that I am actually correct to call them losers in this sphere.

Maybe the scores of guys who are better than them and will prove it in the coming months. Maybe FT will start to care also and eventually railers will no longer rail. The whole thing is a bit of a farce if the name players and supposed superstars are the biggest losers on the site that is sponsoring them.

Brilliant poker minds anyway?
What about the more brilliant minds?

It's like if Wayne Rooney got all the accolades calling him the best footballer in the World when it's obvious that Messi and others are better. It would be silly. Poker is getting silly in this way imo.

Our community is just not living in the real World.

Are you for real? In this sphere? Current form in current climate? Indications? You're like one of those soccer commentators that pretends that just because he uses some fancy words he's should have the same status as s scientist.
I mean WTF? This is your message:
Isildur1 and Durrrr and Gus sucks right now.
I think they will keep sucking based on the fact that they are sucking now.

This is your version:
In the current form in the current climate in the sphere it's implicated that under the exact same, or ca in latin, conditions, results will not deviate too far away from the standard mean. Hence, the majority of the stick I have in my rectum is getting squashed into crumbles (because I'm oh so tight).

You're a phony sir.

#5 gamera

gamera

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

On December 7th 2013 I shall bump this thread and eat a large dose of humble pie if necessary.

Criteria being; will the 3 players in question show a combined profit or loss on FT poker in the coming 12 months? I say for sure they will lose.

If I'm feeling really smug I might just post a graph of my own results for the same period.

Let time be the judge of us all.

#6 gamera

gamera

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

@monkeyface; just for the record; my opinions have been formed from study of the players involved. Their current strategies in the games where the big $$ are won and lost (i.e. games other than NLH) are behind those of the top players. And I'm not just talking about one or two players like Sauce having an edge. Many players have an edge and it's gonna be hella hard to adjust. Personally I think Blom has the best chance of adjusting if he can tame the degen in him but that's highly unlikely.

I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to catch up, I'm just saying that these 3 won't.

Durr is too busy making millions in Macau and other live cash games. He is far too smart and will soon realize it will make no sense to spend all day everyday brushing up his online game to show perhaps a small profit on hands played when he in fact doesn't need to as he can make huge profits for a lot less effort elsewhere.

Blom is an incurable degen and won't show a profit next year.

Gus is just off the pace and won't catch up.

Time will tell.

#7 fairyland

fairyland

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Arent Ivey and Antonius also losing players online these days? Only one who isnt of the old superstars are Ilari. But one of the problems for people to accept the new guys is that there are no highstakes cashgames on TV any more (only the usual tournamenttours) where they can be better known and accepted.

#8 OMGitsViktor

OMGitsViktor

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2401 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

u can compare the isldur with ronaldinho. both in their prime were something special, unseen,magic... everyone wanted to see them. in football this didnt happen in my lifetime, even the people who didnt like football, watched barca because of ronaldinho(great memories btw) and the same goes for viktor, no one ever took it to a such exciting level as he did. and now the finnish of the comparision. the fell from glory to mysery from both is extreme. ronaldinho in his last year was a embarrasment, and without glory he went to milan and then to brazil. same for viktor. the raw talent of both was so great, but their self destructive brain is even greater.

oh i forgot. mr mike tyson and the isildur are prfectly comparable.
something unseen, something raw... something diferent... .... .... something beautiful.

#9 gamera

gamera

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Exactly correct Fairlyland. It's all hype and bullsh*t. Little got to do with reality.

Also agree with you OMG. It's a pity about Blom though, such brillance...

#10 fairyland

fairyland

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

gamera (2012-12-07) Exactly correct Fairlyland. It's all hype and bullsh*t. Little got to do with reality.

Also agree with you OMG. It's a pity about Blom though, such brillance...

Isil is a special guy, a special degenerate, you never know with him

#11 REYMARTZ

REYMARTZ

@REYMARTZ1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Destiny works in many different ways at different points in time. To say gustav, Victoria & Durrrreee will neva win again is ri-dick-ulous :)

Poker is a game where anything can happen and the only thing you hope for is that you stay consistant and on the + side. Sometimes rich degen players forget the importance of money and dont care to gamble it off at the tables cause they have endless cash flow into their bank account.

#12 andy beaumont

andy beaumont

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

gamera (2012-12-07) 

Maybe the scores of guys who are better than them and will prove it in the coming months. Maybe FT will start to care also and eventually railers will no longer rail.

this is the lollest thing ever for a million reasons but i will just name 2
  1. railers are there for the action not just for the names, they will love to rail any red pro losing millions to newcomers
  2. FULL TILT COULD'T CARE LESS ABOUT RAILERS CAUSE THEY PAY ZERO RAKE
IF railers stop railing it would be indeed a massive problem but for HSDB cause they make money with visitors and ads

#13 NasseNøffff

NasseNøffff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

I would be willing to bet big on Dwan being a winner overall for 2013, the other ones, not so much.Dwan just need to get back in it, and get the feel for it, hes been gone from online poker for a long time now, and cant be expected to crush straight away. Ya'll still remember how he manage to win back pretty much all, if not more, after the 5 mill downswing vs Blom a few years ago, in not to much time? He's pretty much a poker genious, and if he decide to focus enough, im sure he could easily be among the top winners online, but when he spend most of his time in Macao, and other live games it will obv affect his online result a bit, as most other big winners online play 98% of their poker online.
If Blom gets enough "showdowns" he could do well to, but without them i cant see him being a winner. Guessing on Gus' results would pretty much be like guessing the lottery numbers, so i wont even try.

#14 andy beaumont

andy beaumont

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

[quote]WCS064 (2012-12-07) [quote]

You have to ask yourself if the FTP people sponsored these 3 because they thought they were going to be winning players, or because they were simply the most marketable. If they hired them because they thought they would show a collective profit, it was obviously a terrible move. I doubt that had much to do with it though.

These guys are simply 3 of the biggest names in poker. As you've pointed out, poker evolves extremely fast. It's not unusual that by the time a player gains notoriety, his best playing days have passed him by. By the time he gets famous, there are better (usually younger) players with more talent, but are much lesser known, therefore less marketable. Look at all the guys with the big online sponsorships after the boom. A lot of them were live pros, who never even played online, and couldn't even win live anymore. They got those sponsorships because they were the most well known players when the sponsorships became available, not because they were the best. There was a ton of great young talent at that time (including durrr) that didn't get sponsored in favor of guys you couldn't play at all.

By many accounts, isildur won a ton before he ever played on FTP. Durrr definitely won a ton before he was ever on TV. Gus had a ton of really sick live tourney results to help him get famous, as well as always being a likeable action player, something all 3 have in common actually, not coincidentally.

Maybe they all 3 had their best days before they were famous enough to get huge sponsorships, but thats just how it tends to work. You have to realize they are targeting people who are several steps removed from the poker world. People who probably don't know the names of the top players today, but certainly know Gus, durrr, and isildur. You can't expect casual fans to always keep up with the best players when its changing every few months.

You should also keep in mind that the sites marketing to the casual fan rather than people like us is strongly in our best interest as players. That kind of marketing is more likely to draw in new casual players than the kind that might interest us more. [/quote]

yet another great post, it's all that has to be said, the way it should be said.

but i'm a bitch, don't have the patience to do it :)

#15 Paulrx7

Paulrx7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

When your paid a monthly income by the site you play on its not

that worrying is it when you lose, people like gus and durrr have millions

from other sources of poker so to us its seems they are losers but in

life they are raking it in believe me, as for isildur im not sure he has the

bankroll sense to stay even or better in poker but only time will tell.

#16 dankman247

dankman247

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Does anyone in here realize that it is spelled "losing" "lose" ????........Everyone here fail English miserably throughout high school? Lol, pathetic.

Loose would be an example if we were describing your girlfriends vag.

#17 Haadlad

Haadlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Haha, best post in this whole thread....

#18 Joytoys

Joytoys

Lead Nozzlepop

• Moderators
  • 3983 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

FT certainly do care about railers - they want as many people as possible to visit their site - getting big exciting names like Dwan, Blom and Hansen brings those players and gets them to download the FT software. Of course that's no guarantee they will play there but they know full well most railers will at least register an account, and more than likely make a deposit. That's it, that's all they want.

BTW it's way to early days to say these three are too far behind the game and won't ever turn a profit. Especially durrrr - he jus hasn't been back among the action for long enough to say. He's also been playing a lot of games he never used to play much of online.

Isildur1 is defo too much of a degen for his own good but there's every chance he could go on a massive heater and wipe out his losses since his return. Gus is just great value, even if he is outclassed in a lot of games. He should stick to HU PLO - from what I hear from other pros they actually really rate his PLO game heads up.

As far Ilari being rolled - he maybe now but I can guarantee you in the past couple of years he has been flat broke and staked.

#19 nodrugs4u

nodrugs4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

My prediction is this:

1) Isildur1 will win in NL and PLO HU games lose in ring
2) For durrrr it all depends on how much people are gonna underestimate him. He is definitely far from the top these days, but I think that he has an edge on some of the people who give him action. He is being treated kinda like Gus and he is definitely no Gus.
3) Gus will lose

#20 ultimatefelt

ultimatefelt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

Isildur won 150k today, and lokolsback lost for the first time in his career. Hmmm, maybe the tides are turning. Seriously though, I believe any player who hasn't been playing the games with sauce, barcode, galfond, oddsen, finishfish, the panda, and other pokerstars regs for the last year aren't going to be competitive, at least in the beginning. The game has evolved in the last year, primarily in limit games and PLO. No more are the days of degenyamine and durrrr, at least not online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users