• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 poker_zoner

poker_zoner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Curious how it is that Ivey and Antonius, the two biggest online winners - that's right online - have both stated that books/math did not lead them to success. Both are alleged feel players who get into their opponents heads (incidently Dwan is quite good at this too). So i'm curious how the industry of poker math/analysis is catching up. Would a Skulsky, Galfond, Cates have an edge over Ivey or Antonius these days because, as the argument must go, the theoretical approach outflanks the psychological? Did Ivey or Antonius ever make big scores on players as good as Skulsky, Galfond ,or Cates? On a side note, there has been a conspicuous lack of nl or plo played by raiseonce or fakelove888. To me, this indicates that the competition looks -EV to them. All indications point to this, but still a part of me refuses to believe that there is much -EV for those guys anywhere.

#2 justforthat

justforthat

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

you are naive if you dont think that ivey and antonius dont know the mathematical correct way to play a hand.

#3 bhowell5

bhowell5

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

All good players use math. Whether it is at the front of their minds or not is another story. Sometimes the subconscious can do math (or even psychology) without you even noticing and leave you with these "instinct" plays, that you think are is just a fluke, but has to do with your minds ability to notice these things without you actively knowing it is happening. If you bet $10 into a $200 pot, even play money players who "do no math" will know to call every time. Did they do the pot odds calculation, figure their odds to win vs. the opponents likely range, and decide to call on that factor? No, they just had this instinct that told them to call, which was their subconscious doing a very vague calculation and figure on whether it is a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users