19 replies to this topic

#1 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Do people play these? I think it's a terrific way to build a BR from a small deposit as people are kinda clueless and make obvious mistakes. It's very exploitable if you're able to valuebet properly on each street. The latter is the reason I much prefer NL to PL though.

I have some hands to show and would like to hear people's thoughts on this game. If there's any interest in this I can start posting spots etc. and explain my point of view.

#2 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Here's an example that illustrates why I think there's value in grinding these tourneys. I got a pretty sick freeroll.

http://www.boomplaye...2676_B74B3409A1

#3 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

http://www.boomplaye...2691_0F0240F301

They play face cards up. A jack or 10 is almost always betting on flop.

#4 helgimo

helgimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

All the unusual games are extremally soft at the micro limits. I have final tabled stud and triple draw mtt´s and i think i have about 5 tourneys each to my name. I still suck at poker generally though..no bankroll management or patience whatsoever. But i like your posts though. The omaha thread is nice. My advice in micro omaha is to 3 bet before the flop as much as you can and build pots even though you have a few callers. On the flop people generally play very weak anything but nutdraws, sets and 2 pairs so dont be afraid to float them and see if they check the turn. You can usually wrestle those pots with bets on turn or river. Good luck.

#5 onfriginreal

onfriginreal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/1602691_0F0240F301

I think you played both hands terribly. Especially for a tourney. Why are you betting the turn in either of these hands? The first hand you never slowed down and shouldn't have lead out in the 1st place because more than half the deck kills you on the turn. The second one is just absurd. Just b/c you won both doesn't mean you played them well at all. HiLo tourneys are about pot control and not getting a lot of chips in unless you have both hi & lo covered(for the most part).
"wtf is bankroll management?"

#6 onfriginreal

onfriginreal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

helgimo (2012-12-29)  My advice in micro omaha is to 3 bet before the flop as much as you can and build pots even though you have a few callers. .

Worst advice ever. Do the opposite. Sounds counter intuitive but you have to slow way down and pick your spots and people to exploit. You just cannot get away with bullying your way around a hilo table.

#7 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

onfriginreal (2012-12-29) 

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/1602691_0F0240F301

I think you played both hands terribly. Especially for a tourney. Why are you betting the turn in either of these hands? The first hand you never slowed down and shouldn't have lead out in the 1st place because more than half the deck kills you on the turn. The second one is just absurd. Just b/c you won both doesn't mean you played them well at all. HiLo tourneys are about pot control and not getting a lot of chips in unless you have both hi & lo covered(for the most part).

I bet something like 2.5BB leaving me with a starting stack. You have to bluff boards without lows, that's where you get to scoop.

As for the first hand, you can't but them on j10 just 'cause they called the flop bet. There aren't many j10 hand combinations that they could've had and queens up is pushing flop. Seems really whimpy in my eyes to not push the action.

#8 onfriginreal

onfriginreal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

I bet something like 2.5BB leaving me with a starting stack. You have to bluff boards without lows, that's where you get to scoop.

As for the first hand, you can't but them on j10 just 'cause they called the flop bet. There aren't many j10 hand combinations that they could've had and queens up is pushing flop. Seems really whimpy in my eyes to not push the action.

j10 & 67 beats you on the turn in addition to you not having anything close to the nuts to begin with you didn't even have top two. All I am saying is that you are playing way to aggressive. That's just my opinion. It took me awhile to get comfortable with a style in hilo maybe your style will work for you but it just doesn't look like a style that can be a consistent winner.

#9 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

j10 & 67 beats you on the turn in addition to you not having anything close to the nuts to begin with you didn't even have top two. All I am saying is that you are playing way to aggressive. That's just my opinion. It took me awhile to get comfortable with a style in hilo maybe your style will work for you but it just doesn't look like a style that can be a consistent winner.

What style do you play?

#10 onfriginreal

onfriginreal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

What style do you play?

I am no super star but i do final table a good percentage of my HILO tourneys. I have just started recording them for my own review and i also thought about posting them on youtube, unedited with no commentary. So if you're interested i can send you a link. If not no biggie.

#11 helgimo

helgimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

helgimo (2012-12-29)  My advice in micro omaha is to 3 bet before the flop as much as you can and build pots even though you have a few callers. .

Worst advice ever. Do the opposite. Sounds counter intuitive but you have to slow way down and pick your spots and people to exploit. You just cannot get away with bullying your way around a hilo table.

hehe yes for a tourney its bad advice. Im sorry i was referring to Omaha Cashgames..wrong thread apparently.

#12 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-29) 

What style do you play?

I am no super star but i do final table a good percentage of my HILO tourneys. I have just started recording them for my own review and i also thought about posting them on youtube, unedited with no commentary. So if you're interested i can send you a link. If not no biggie.

I would like to see it definitely

#13 jnbhj11

jnbhj11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

i mean mid buy ins mtts from Hi/Lo are tuff 60-70% same players over and over again and when you play high buyins there aresame ppl + the best of the holdem mtt regs which just beat you be knowing player types and can read board textures prety well and are to smart to not be good i would look on the results of the weakly hilo mtts.
mostly holdem regs on top...
low buy ins are good there are 20% of the strong or mid strong or regs hi/lo players thats good actualy.

and realy its the softest game for microstacks.. no reg play those... few mid strong ppls are in but its not importnat number... i play it a lot now have a bet on going :) guess what... how do you make xxx money from 30bucks :D
-its a game which russians love to play so dont get mad when you lose in spot which should be not real :D

sitngo are the softest on micro i ever seen.
but up 7 bucks its geting a bit tuffer and 15 bucks its standart like holdem tuff to beat.

gl see ya at tables :)

#14 dom.com

dom.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

if u are getting good results thats great, however u played your hands very poor. still trying to figure how u thought the Q5 was still good. but my advice is to keep playing and improve your game.

#15 GrimTard

GrimTard

Grand master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationCassablanca

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

dom.com (2012-12-30) if u are getting good results thats great, however u played your hands very poor. still trying to figure how u thought the Q5 was still good. but my advice is to keep playing and improve your game.

can only wonder how villian tought a pair of 6 was good...

But the play suck alot. You really fold out all hands you got crushed and get only called by better.

Brag post imo. Åååå Rosenborg å Rosenborg!

#16 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

GrimTard (2012-12-30) 

dom.com (2012-12-30) if u are getting good results thats great, however u played your hands very poor. still trying to figure how u thought the Q5 was still good. but my advice is to keep playing and improve your game.

But the play suck alot. You really fold out all hands you got crushed and get only called by better.

Obv getting called by only worse isn't true, and small bluff steals post-flop is important to avoid griding down and being forced to shove light. In a regular format I would agree with you, but you can't be passive in a turbo tourney.

God stemning da ja!

#17 jnbhj11

jnbhj11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

winni played it like the other random not stupid players i have no problem with that play... you have to let them pay, but not all 15 NL HI/Lo are that way limping when the blinds are mid/high actualy i played many of them and i was playing with at least 6 good players in 2-3 regs.. you was lucky to get such a soft table

#18 jnbhj11

jnbhj11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

WINNINGSTEK (2012-12-30) 

GrimTard (2012-12-30) 

Obv getting called by only worse isn't true, and small bluff steals post-flop is important to avoid griding down and being forced to shove light. In a regular format I would agree with you, but you can't be passive in a turbo tourney.

God stemning da ja!

#19 jnbhj11

jnbhj11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

ok i have to type this down :D
i play an mtt micro hi/lo NL 6-max turbo i was 3+ time average the guy on my right had +- same stacksize the other players had like starting stack 1/2 of average just we two was in with rly huge stacks like 12-13k

i BB so the other big stack small blind UTG limp with around 3k chips at blinds 200/400

SB call i have AA5Tone suited so i move in to protect my hand and isolate the shortstack (never would think the shortstack can fold thats why i think... move in is good becouse the other big stack wasnt playing standart)

well guess what :D shorty folded big stack called with Jc8c5c3h

i with a bit luck my high was able to hold he had secured low and could even make second pair or trips to kill me so i asked how can you call that hand for all chips...

german he was and he tells me... i knew you had crap aces yeah and im an idiot becouse i moved in with so big stack so he felt attacked somehow ..
prety scary... waters :D that are no fishes they are piranhas

#20 WINNINGSTEK

WINNINGSTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

There are plenty of fish in the $15, and especially $30 omaha hilo sitngos:

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/1631203_B558D32182

Horrible call preflop:
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/1629410_A170B6F975

Player 8 insane call preflop:
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/1629253_77164269B1

I bust on ugly suckout by villain.
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/1629253_77164269B1

During peak-hours, when a bunch of $15 sitngos run, plays like these are common. There's a bunch of easy money here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users