7 replies to this topic

#1 alkent81

alkent81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have make a deal yesterday in a tournament.With 3 left I was third.
And I have suggest a deal. the % of the chips in that moment was smth like 40 % 30 % 30 %.
Now the guys says to the operator chip chop numbers. After looking that numbers I was ok with that.
But I know that there is another way that is ICM.
Can Anyone tell me what is the difference between this 2 ways of deal?

#2 kkktookmybabyaway

kkktookmybabyaway

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

ICM : your chips = a chance of winning a prize. This is better if you are the short stack because you always have a chance of gaining more chips.
Chip chop : your chips = a monetary amount of the remaining prize pool. This could be best if you are the leader because you have those chips and could lose them.

#3 alkent81

alkent81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ty kkk.
At least now I know that I have done a bad deal :)

#4 kkktookmybabyaway

kkktookmybabyaway

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

You may have taken more money with ICM, but if the chips % was something like 40/30/30 it wouldn't make a big difference.

btw, chip chop is a really bad-fake way for deal cause it takes into account only the stacks & the remaining prize pool..nothing more.
ICM is way more accurate and realistic cause is calculating few more factors that are very important.

#5 bodonk

bodonk

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

what are those factors and how do u calculate it?

#6 aaleonard

aaleonard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

bodonk (2013-05-08) what are those factors and how do u calculate it?

its called a computer. you know, you were on one when you typed this. there's something called a search engine and you type words in like "ICM poker deal" and then information pops up. really weird concept.

#7 Donny

Donny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

bodonk (2013-05-08) what are those factors and how do u calculate it?

The main factors are stack to blind ratios and the payout structure. Best to use an ICM calculator (like this one http://www.icmpoker....alculator.aspx)

The ICM way attempts to do what chip chops fail to, account for the fact that one hand can dramatically change everything at the end stage of a tournament. That is basically the difference between the two.

A chip chop is a snapshot of the way the tourney stands, an ICM chop is the best logical prediction of how a tourney would actually play out.

#8 Donny

Donny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

alkent81 (2013-05-08) I have make a deal yesterday in a tournament.With 3 left I was third.
And I have suggest a deal. the % of the chips in that moment was smth like 40 % 30 % 30 %.
Now the guys says to the operator chip chop numbers. After looking that numbers I was ok with that.
But I know that there is another way that is ICM.
Can Anyone tell me what is the difference between this 2 ways of deal?

In your specific case it wouldn't matter anyway. The ICM numbers would be almost identical to the chip chop numbers, because of the close stack sizes. The difference comes in when you have big and small stacks.

Just remember that chip chops favor the big stacks and punish the small stacks.

If you are short and they want a chip chop, just don't do it. It's never worth it, you are always better off playing it out.

If you are the big stack, obviously a chip chop is your first choice. If they don't go for that, an ICM chop doesn't necessarily screw a big stack over, but if you feel comfortable closing out tourneys then you are probably better off playing it out and going for the win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users