Vegas Mayor Described as Bonkers for Calls to Re-Open City During Virus

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodmans calls to re-open Las Vegas despite the coronavirus pandemic have been harshly and roundly criticised, her trainwreck interview with CNNs Anderson Cooper going viral after she appeared to offer Vegas up as a control group in the fight against COVID-19…

By: Andrew Burnett

Vegas and the rest of Nevada has been under lockdown since state Governor Steve Sisolak announced measures 5 weeks ago, but Mayor Goodman appears to be tired of Vegas being closed.

"I want everything back. We never closed down the United States. We've never closed down Nevada. We've never closed down Las Vegas because that's our job. Entertainment capital of the world where everything is clean," she told Cooper, the interview hitting the headlines worldwide.

Late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, a long-time Vegas resident, didn’t hold back the scorn for Goodman’s opinions.

He tweeted: “Dear Las @Vegas. It would appear that your @mayoroflasvegas Carolyn Goodman is dangerously misguided. I am not easily shocked anymore, but the interview she is doing with @andersoncooper @cnn right now is bonkers.”

Describing her as “an embarrassment to my hometown”, Kimmel said that Goodman, “should resign before lunch arrives today.”

The brutal interview saw Goodman claim: "We [Las Vegas] offered to be a control group" for the re-opening of the state’s casinos, adding that they could act as a placebo in a ‘social distancing test’ to see what effects re-opening had on virus rates.

That, unsurprisingly, was met with anger by those who would be the guinea pigs.

"Workplaces need to be safe and healthy - not a Petri dish," stated the Nevada Culinary Union's Geoconda Argüello-Kline, describing Goodman’s comments as “outrageous” – her Union losing 11 members to the COVID-19 disease so far.

Governor Sisolak, who unlike Goodman has the power to actually re-open the state, condemned Mayor Goodman, stating that Nevada is "clearly not ready to open."

Sisolak took to CNN shortly after Goodman’s bizarre interview to state: "We have, sadly, since you did that interview, we now have 187 deaths in the state of Nevada, but over 4,100 positive cases."

All of the state’s casinos have been closed since Sisolak’s announcement last month, with the WSOP this week announcing a postponement of the summer festival due to the coronavirus.

The US has the world’s largest recorded total of deaths from the disease, 48,300 as of today (Thursday 23rd April) from more than 850,000 recorded infections.

Share

Other Poker news

Leave a Reply


To post comments you need to Login or register your free HighstakesDB account.

Comments

No comments have been posted yet.